Plenum with AIO internal filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swahank

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello there!
I am getting back to this wonderful hobby after a 20 year hiatus and I am setting up a 20 gallon cube tank that has an all-in-one internal filtration system. I, like many of you, have scanned the internet for advice on “the best” or “optimal” set up.

My internal filter will have bio balls, ceramic rings, and after established, some bio chem green.
The tank will have some easy plants and a light bio-load.

I just saw the you tube videos about the “need” for a plenum under my gravel system. Do you all think it is needed or overkill or simply a benefit? I am just designing my system and trying to make optimal decisions for my future aquatic critters.
Thank you for any thoughts!

Thank you. I saw that thread and I believe I understand what and how the Plenum works, but It left me with questions... if I am running a plenum system, does that mean I should not siphon clean my gravel? Or do I simply siphon off the top? And, is using the internal filtration system already installed and additionally having a plenum underneath simply overkill?

Thank you very much. And may I ask another? Is there a risk of toxins being released if the substrate is disturbed all the way down to the plenum surface?

No, but if you don't have water flow thru the substrate then harmful bacteria etc can build up there potentially causing problems later. If water is flowing thru the gravel it will allow (varying by water volume) beneficial nitrifying bacteria to grow

Back
Top Bottom