plug n play ballast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crzytrace

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all. I usually just lurk around as most of my questions get answered by reading other threads, but I have a quick question. My bf has a 55g planted tank with a 48in 2x 65w pc odyssea fixture, separate ballast for each bulb. Well, one side keeps blowing bulbs so we think it is a faulty ballast.We don't know much about wiring so does anyone know of a good plug n play replacement ballast for this fixture?

The first think I would do is switch the position of the lights. Maybe water is getting splashed up onto the one light bulb and not the other. I think that'd cause problems eventually. Also, has it ALWAYS blown bulbs, or just recently? When you look into where the bulb plugs in, is it rusty, corroded? How about the wires running from the ballast to the light? Do they look ok? No cracks or exposed wire? Water and electronics obviously don't get a long well, and when they're in close contact for long periods of time, something is bound to go wrong eventually.

I'd eliminate all other options before I'd go buy something, it might be a lot cheaper fix than you think.

This is a new fixture about 2 months old. There are no frayed wires and the endcaps look good. It also has a thin plexiglass sheet covering the bulbs and there isn't water splashing on it as far as I can tell. It has blown out 2 bulbs so far, but only on the one side. Was looking at a workhorse 3 ballast to replace crappy one.

Back
Top Bottom