Positioning of HOB Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dark_S2000

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was wondering does the position on the tank (mainly the back) and the placement of the intake tube effect performance. For example, if the filter is on the left side and the intake is also on the left side would it cause it to run less effeciently? My way of thinking is when the water leaves the filter it would push the debries that is floating to the intake tube away from it and cause most of the debre floating not to get filtered. So I was wondering, would that happen or will it just get filtered out anyways and should I put the filter on the right side? I have a top that you have to cut slots out in order to put anything there and was wondering if it would be a good idea to move it.

Placement will not affect the efficiency. I try and position the intake tube about an inch or so off the gravel. This gives me maximum circulation.

I once was told to keep the intakes several to 6 inches off the gravel. The reason given was that if the filter leaked, it could not completely drain the tank, since below the intake tube there would be water for the fish till you got home and noticed the crisis.

Now I have never had a filter leak or drain the tank, ever. I doubt it would happen with a HOB. But I could concievably see a hose going to a canister or sump sprining a leak, and gravity could drain the tank. Thus , I have left my intakes about 4 inches above the gravel.

I do agree with Brian, I want to draw water in to the filter from deep, and put it back at the top, and thereby get good circulation and turnover.

I think that where you put a single HOB depends on how you want it. You will always have slower circulation spots, and spots where debris collects in the gravel. With filter outflow and intake placement you can effect where those spots are, but not prevent them.

I have an AquaClear filter, there pretty nice, but the intake tube that came with it is only like about 6 inches in length and i have a 29g tank, so its about a good foot and a half away from the bottom. Is there some extensions that stores sell for the intake tube or whats the best way to rig it up to make it longer.

My HOB canister is the same way. My tank is 24 inches tall and the tube for the intake was only like 6 inchest, so you can see that im like 18" from the bottom and i have yet to be able to find an extension

Make sure your HOB intake pump can handle the extra depth. There must be a reason they have come with short intakes. An extemsion would add only pennies to manufacturing, so I have to believe the impellers and pumps are not designed for longer intake tubes? So, who has put an extension on and noted if there are any negative effects?

added an extension with no negative effects. in reality the impeller only pulls water from the point of highest head. makes sence to me. Highwater line.

I was thinking of buying some rubber tubing (same used with the Python vac) and sticking it on over where the intake tube goes and moving the tube that acually pulls the water (where like my 20 snails like to gather and have to knock em off) to the end of that tube (hope yal can understand that :D).

Back
Top Bottom