Possible pregnant molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryanstobbs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I was wondering if anybody is able to help. Is there a way of telling if a milky is ready to give birth
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I know with guppies the pregnancy period is roughly 30ish days though she can hold them a little longer if she feels threatened.

Not sure if this is universal to all livebearers though.

Caleb

I believe the pregnancy period is also around 30 days for Mollies. You'll notice the Molly will be about as plump as they can possibly be without bursting just before...well they burst. I also noticed when I had mine awhile ago that they always picked an area of the tank to birth in.

A search in Google is saying this plus the gravid spot near the anal fin may become darker or flatten as time gets closer.

Congratulations!

I also want to say that I never separated the fry from the adults despite knowing they may get eaten. As the fry were being born they instinctively seek shelter and food so for the best chances of survival provide both to the fry and mother without disturbing them too much.

Back
Top Bottom