Possible Suggestions for New HOB (or Possibly Canister)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osage_Winter

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If my AquaClear 110 continues to go in the direction it's going, that is, return flow almost down to a near trickle, I think I am just going to chuck it and replace it with another filter -- I'd like to stay with a powerful HOB, but I suppose I would consider a canister although I have no experience with them, at all...

What would be recommended in the HOB area first outside of AquaClear for a 60 gallon goldfish tank -- Marineland? Tetra Whisper? Perhaps another Aqueon (they have replaced the QuietFlow 55 I own with a new, more powerful model)? Am I looking over any brands here?

If I go with a canister and simply add it to the two HOBs I have now, can someone walk me through how a canister filter works, briefly?

Thanks.

I have no skill whatsoever and I got my fluval up and running in about fifteen minutes. LOL

Its just trays if media of your choosing that stack with sponges for the mechanical part on the side.

I can't say I've had any issues at all with my unit and I've been in there quite a few times to tweak my media.

I'm surprised at the AQ I'm currently running 2 on 2 other tanks with no problems at all. That would have been my first suggestion.

Good luck!

I have no skill whatsoever and I got my fluval up and running in about fifteen minutes. LOL

Its just trays if media of your choosing that stack with sponges for the mechanical part on the side.

I can't say I've had any issues at all with my unit and I've been in there quite a few times to tweak my media.

I'm surprised at the AQ I'm currently running 2 on 2 other tanks with no problems at all. That would have been my first suggestion.

Good luck!

Hey Carey!

Thanks so much for your reply; with regard to the Fluval, do these come with media out of the box? How does the filter "connect" to the water of the aquarium? With HOBs, it's obvious because the piece hangs off the back of the tank, but how do canisters actually work on a tank?

Yeah, I was advised not to look at any other HOBs other than AquaClear initially, but my 110 seems to be failing, as the water flow return has become ridiculously weak for some unknown reason. So I was possibly considering the Marineland, etc.

Thanks again for your reply.

Every piece u need is included with the appropriate clamps. The intake and out put hoses coonnect to a central hub which you can easily detach from the actual canister for servicing. I'm a chick who had no idea how to do it but I did it easily. Instructions are perfect, I believe theres a dvd in the box too.

The best part is the media selection. I'm running high phosphates so i took a carbon bag out and swapped a phos guard in. You can go with all bio media too. And did I mention, its so quiet you dont even know its running?

The hose runs from the filter harness to a clamp that hangs on to the rim of your tank. Then you just attach the strainer part. Same for the outflow. Just a simple hose to the filter harness. It primes itself so once ur setup u just plug it in.

Thanks so much for the pics, Carey!

So, am I seeing this right? One tube goes in to flow the filtered water, almost like a powerhead (from what I can see) and a second takes the water out via a strainer like a traditional HOB?

Do all canister filters come with these two tubes and everything required?

The best thing about Fluvals is that they come with an instructional DVD. So even if you have never seen a canister before they will show you exactly what you need to do to set it up and maintain it.

I would go with a Fluval 405. They are cheap online, but if you show a LFS what you can get it for you should be able to work with them on the price (and still get to support your local business).

If you went with a HOB the best ones out there are the AquaClears, and I would go with a 110. Have you looked into replacing the impeller? For a few bucks that may be all that is needed. Even if you replaced the whole motor unit you would save money compared to a whole new filter.

I have a fluval 405 and I am mechanically declined. Lol. It was so easy to set up and pretty self sufficient. Right out of the box it is all set to go. The only thing I have to do is clean the foam pads once in a while. You can get cheap replacement pads on eBay. 12 of them are somewhere around $13 shipped. Not trying to steer you that way just voicing my opinion. I would check the impeller before anything else though. I would hate to spend more money than I needed to.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Yeah, I can't help with the canister side. But with HOBs, to be honest, all the others I've had experience with are junk (Out of AquaClear, Whisper, and Aqueon; AquaClear has been the only good one.)

If you go with a Fluval 405 Use the Foam they provide, but nothing else. I don't use carbon in any of my tanks. Seachem Matrix is better than Fluval's Biomax. And I use polyester pillow stuffing from the crafts section in Wal-**rt for my fine mechanical/polishing media instead of their pads.

it is usually somthing siily or small that makes it lose flow.go over it, impeller prob. i just got my first canister with my osaka 155 set. its a 205, havent hooked it up yet, but my other hob filters lose flow power when they need cleaning or clean filter fiber-pads. my aquaclears slow down, but i use pre intake filters that get messy real fast.

Back
Top Bottom