Possible to retrofit my existing light hood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Criason

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently bought a 37gallon tank (30x12x22) second hand. It came with a nice hood with a light that fits on top of a glass portion. Right now it has a raiting of 20W and the bulb that is in it is not great (T12 3100K full spectrum 20W). I dont think I can just strap a bigger bulb straight into it and get the results I am looking for out of it. (more like 60W 6500K for plants)

So do you think it is possible to take out the guts of this light and retrofit it with a better setup?(probably would still only be one light as the space to fit the lamp is only 4" wide) Or, is there a better alternative like buying a new hood?

I recently bought a 37gallon tank (30x12x22) second hand. It came with a nice hood with a light that fits on top of a glass portion. Right now it has a raiting of 20W and the bulb that is in it is not great (T12 3100K full spectrum 20W). I dont think I can just strap a bigger bulb straight into it and get the results I am looking for out of it. (more like 60W 6500K for plants)

So do you think it is possible to take out the guts of this light and retrofit it with a better setup?(probably would still only be one light as the space to fit the lamp is only 4" wide) Or, is there a better alternative like buying a new hood?
Have you considered building your own hood. If your going to 'take the guts out' maybe it would be just as easy to build from scratch. My DIY isn't brilliant(and my mates a chippy) so he done it but they are not that complicated and can be quite cheap, depending on the wood used of course.. I have photo's of mine in my albums. I fitted mine with cheap LED's, which i don't think would be much good to you with plants, but i might give you an idea. There are also plenty of video's on youtube, step-by-step instructions.... I hope this helped!!!!.... Ian

After researching my options and the work that it would take to make the one I had function properly, I came to the conclusion that it would be cheaper to order a new one. The old hood only had a small glass area (enough for one bulb) which wouldnt have given enough light anyways.

Back
Top Bottom