Power backup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cginflorida

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone use a battery power backup for their filter? If so, what do you use? I have a Penguin Biowheel 125.

We've been getting frequent power failures here recently - about 3 or 4 in the last 2 months, and it's a PITA. :evil:

They usually don't last too long, but I'd feel better having backup when we're away from home.

There are devices called "UPS" I believe that are often used for computers to keep them running so you have time to save your info and whatnot and close down properly during a power outtage. From what I understand they last a couple of hours, but am not sure how long they would work running a filter, though what you have is relatively small.

You can also get battery powered air pumps, which I think are an easier way to go. I was without power for 6 days last summer and did not lose but one fish, and that was a week after the power was back on, apparently from stress.

Okay, thanks TG, I'll check out the air pumps. I was talking to a guy at Circuit City about the ones for computers, and he said you have to be careful about the wattage that it can handle. He thought I'd be okay with mine, but I just wanted to see if anyone had a better way to go.

Wow, you were without power for 6 days??? 8O Was it from bad weather?

Hurricane Isabel. Not fun - I was a nervous wreck about all the fish. I thought I had left that kind of thing behind when I left S. Florida (Lake Worth) but in 9 years never had a hurricane hit while there. Move back north, and what happens? :?

Oh yeah, I forgot about old Isabel. I know what you mean. Everybody thinks Florida gets all the hurricanes, but it seems like NC and that area gets the most. I've lived here 26 years in Orlando and we've never had a bad one near us. Hope I didn't just jinx us. :?

If you only intend to run the hang on filter with the UPS then a medium sized unit should be good for an hour or so operation with no power. If you hook up a heater or lights then dont expect much of a runtime.

There is a link here in the DIY forum about taking a car battery or a marine battery and hooking it up to on eof those 12VDC - 120VAC converters and using that for backup. This is often cheaper than the comercial UPS systems and gives a longer runtime.

Back
Top Bottom