Power Compact Fluorescents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceanicsublimat

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do PCF bulbs lose intensity as they age? I've noticed a decline in my coralline algae recently and some of my polyps opening up as much.. one of my actinics have burned out a few months ago and I accidentally severed a wire that connected it, so I haven't replaced it.. Should I replace all the bulbs? All my readings are within normal limits and my calcium is 420 or better..

from waht i have read you should replace all your lights yearly... I am sure someone will correct me if i am wrong... HTH.

they do not so much loose intensity as they do shift the spectrum a bit. As the bulbs age, you will notice a "yellowing" of the light a bit. Algae tends to like this spectrum of the light, not a good thing. Replacing CF bulbs every 9-12 months is good prctice.

thanks..I've had the bulbs now for about 9 to 11 months.. like I said, I've noticed a definate decline in my coralline.. used to be really pretty..

Yeah, c.f. lights DO need replaced yearly. I've noticed the same kind of decline, and I also noticed that ballasts burn out easier with older bulbs. At least, they did in my Satellite fixtures. I lost one ballast each in mine, still waiting for the ballasts to come up available somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom