Power Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjkelly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have A new 10 gallon tank thats been running about 3 months now..I have the whisper 10 power filter. It worked ok at first but now even after cleaning it really good it just doesn't flow like it use to and the water isn't moving as much. I really don't like this filter..the bags gets clogged pretty fast..anyhow..what would be a good replacement..I was looking at the Penguin 100B filter. any addvice?

thanks

Mark

I haven't heard too many good things about Whispers so I'm not surprised you don't like yours. The Penguin filter would be a great option for you, as would an Aquaclear mini (100 gph). It's really up to you... I can tell you that the Penguin will be louder than the AC if that matters to you. Also, if you get an AC you don't have to buy filter cartridges, as you can just rinse the sponge insert in old tankwater every so often during your PWCs and then you don't have to change it. But the Penguin has the Biowheel if that's what you want. Either one would work great. :mrgreen: www.bigalsonline.com probably has the best prices.

I refuse to use any other HOB power filter than Hagens, Aqua Clear's.
Hands down the best, very reliable, less noise, add any media you want, easy to clean, great GPH flow rates and easily modified with a bio-wheel if you want them.
I've been running my AC's for years with no breakdowns and after cleaning just prime the box and they re-start every time.

Thanks For the Help...I ordered an Aquaclear 200 From Big Al's..Can't wait to trash that POS Filter I have now...

Well, just make sure you don't trash your POS too soon! :lol: If I were you I would run both the old and new filter at the same time on your tank for a couple weeks to avoid a cycle. Good luck! I think you will really like the AC compared to the Whisper. :mrgreen:

If you don't want to do that you could put the cartridge from the Whisper into the AC when you get it... not sure if it will fit in there though as I am not too familiar with the Whisper.

Well,
I have the new filter in and everything has been Ok..no problems with getting a mini cycle..
and the water looks so much better.
thanks for the help

AquaClear filters have been used on all my tanks except for my 55 gallon in which I use a wet/dry filter. But, as far as HOB is concerned, AquaClears are one of the best, if not the best.

first off, Kudos for severum mama for correctly advising you to run both filters for 2 weeks to avoid a mini-cycle.

Aqua Clears don't use a bio-wheel...you cannot hook one up.

For the record, I too ONLY use aqua clear HOB's for smaller tanks. They clean easily, the motors are cheap if you happen to burn one out, and the filter media chamber is the most customizable HOB on the market. I've run bio balls and filter floss in them, but normally i just use 2 sponge blocks, no carbon, no floss, nothing...

Is it just me or are the Aquaclears small compared to other comparably rated HOB filters? I ordered a AC30 for my girlfriends 15g tank and it looked too small soo I re-ordered a AC50. It's still a bit smaller than her Whisper that came as part of the tank kit.

Malkore, you don't use bio-rings?

I couldn't decide between Penguin and AquaClear... so I have both. = ) I have the penguin 100 (100 gph) and the AquaClear 70 (200gph). I like the Penguin for the bio wheel and I like the AquaClear because of the larger basket (I use ceramic rings) and the quietness. It also is about the same size of the Penguin, but twice as good in terms of gph. If I had to get just one, however, it would be the AquaClear hands down. You made the right choice.

Back
Top Bottom