Power Filter Advice Needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

storm3884

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After a lengthy hiatus, I have decided to return to frey with a 55 gallon (long) glass tank.

I just have a few questions on the dizzying array of power filter options available.

1. I always assumed that the recommend necessary "turnover" was 3X per hour. Is this correct? Thus, will all be more than safe/happy with a 200 gph filter?

2. Will using a higher gph filter than the recommended rule of thumb ease and lessen maintence needs? i.e. water changes, chemical treatments, algae, gravel siphoning...

3. Will a higher gph result in a higher current that stresses certain fish? I plan on stocking, after initial tank set-up and cycling, approx. 15 neon tetra, and other, yet to be determined, non-aggressive fish.

4. Any advice on a reliable, quiet filter? I was, intially, leaning towards a Tetratac (I believe that is the correct spelling) with a intergrated heating element. Does anyone have any experience with said filter? I noticed while perusing the forums that most people seem partial to the Emporers. Why?

Thanks for any advice you can give, it will be greatly appreciated!!!! :wink:

I have a tetratec and i have been very pleased with it. I dont believe GPH will affect your water changes. And yes there are some fish that dont like much current such as discus.

Thanks for the info!! I think I am going with the Emporer 330, initially, then adding a smaller Penguin Biowheel as a secondary/backup unit!!!

Back
Top Bottom