Power Filter Overflowing Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dean157799

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello this is my first post and hopefully I can get some help from you guys. I looked around for a post close to this but couldn't find one so I hope Im putting this in the right spot.

I have a Tetra Whisper Power Filter that keeps overflowing on the right side(the intake side) I've read elsewhere that the filter may be clogged which it was, so I rinsed it. I also rinsed my carbon screen that goes in front of it. I took the intake part and even cleaned the part that spins. I have even put a new filter in and it seems that within a day it goes back to overflowing into the tank. I unplug my filter when I feed my fish for about 10 minutes.

As a result my my tank tends to stay rather dirty. I do PWC at least twice a week(even siphon the gravel), and have used prime for the ammonia, stress zyme, chloro conditioner.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Dean

I had the same problem with a penguin filter i had when i first started my tank. I was told i had to many fish in the tank before if finished its cycle causing the filter to take the brunt of the waste out. How old is your tank, size, and fish load

I have had the tank running since last February. I've had plenty of ups and downs with it, but in the past 4 months everything has evened out and was working nicely, until my new filter problem. It is a 10 gallon and I have one Common Pleco, 3 adult female guppy's, 2 juvenile/adult female guppy's, 1 adult fancy male, 1 juvenile/adult fancy male, and a dwarf puffer that thinks its a guppy. all the guppy's have been raised since birth in my tank, and all the fry I get from the females get used as food in my friends 55 gallon tank.

There is obviously a lot of particualte matter getting picked up and clogging the filter cartridge. This isn't a defect of the filter; it's doing it's job.

You either need to thin the tank inhabitants, do more water changes, or at least be prepared to rinse the cartridges more often.

Also, I'd be remiss to not point out the common pleco will need a much larger tank.

Back
Top Bottom