Power Filter Question- Emperor 400 or Penguin 350?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sabrownfl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Newbie (actually oldie returning to the hobby after 15 years) getting ready to set up a 75-gallon Malawi Cichlid tank. Looking to partner a hang on tank power filter with a Rena Filstar XP3. Is there a major difference between the Emperor 400 and Penguin 350? Major selling points one way or the other?

Heck, is the double filtration even needed? Have not settled on fish types yet (aside from Lake Malawi cichlid decision).

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

For the 75G, I don't think it's really needed, but if you feel you need a little more flow, then I'd go with the Emperor 400 myself. I had the XP3 with my 400 on my 55G before I moved the XP3 to the 75G. Now I have 2 400's on the 55G. I prefer the Emperors over the Penguins, and that's just a personal preference, as both are great filters IMO.

Lonewolf- Thanks for the quick reply. I've never had a tank this big before (previous largest was a 55) and I've never kept cichlids so I just wanted to ensure that whatever route I went, my filtration was up to the task.

Is your XP3 the lone filter on your 75g tank? If so, any issues? I won't spend the extra money if there is no need, I just know that cichlids can be messy and I did not want to have any problems. I've got plenty of time to make a decision. My DIY stand is about 60% complete, and the tank purchase is about a month away (need to wait till the floors in my house are redone).

Thanks again.

Yes, my XP3 is the only filter in my 75G, other than the plants. And if you feel there's not enough circulation, you could always add a cheap powerhead or 2. I just got 2 powerheads, which I'm planning on putting in the 75G to give a little more flow. But the XP3 does a great job.

Thanks! I think I'll save the money now and just go with the XP3. I can always add the HOB later if I decide there is a need.

For some reason, here in Canada, replacement media seems cheaper for the Emperors than the Penguins.
Personally, I'd go for the extra money and get an Emperor, the bio-wheels are bigger, the cartridges are larger and the wheels both spend more time in the air from the overhead spray bar which rotates them at a slower rate, but they also seem to clog less. Noisy though. It would be nice if they were clear though. Could make a neat refuge! Jeff

Replacment media costs are a factor, but not a real concern. Noise, on the other hand, is a real issue. This tank will be in the bedroom Unless I can talk my wife into rearranging the living room (not likely).

I was almost sold on the Emperor, but now the Penguin 350 might be my choice if I go the HOB route. This would be secondary filtration after all...

The Emperor's are noisy bastards. No doubt about that.
They do seem like a heluva a lot of filter for the buck though.
I also like all the extra space in the back for sticking stuff like extra media and so on. Jeff

Back
Top Bottom