power filters: which is best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snowdrop7

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there,
I just bought a Top Fin 29 gallon aquarium kit (a complete newbie) and would be very happy for any advice as to the best power filter (quiet) to use. I'm not sure the one that came with the kit is adequate. I've searched online and 3 came up: Marineland Emperor (but people say it's noisy, or Penguin (also noisy), or the cheaper Whisper version, but does it have 3 stage filtration?

aquaclear are very good filters... the whisper filters are junk, i dont like the marineland filters because ive had some bad experiences with them...

I have the 2 marineland penguin 200b power filters (up to 50 gal) on my 55 gal tank. If I keep the water level up they are nearly silent.

Plus as I stated in another post I am away from home frequently for work, and water changes can be less frequent than is recommended. I never have a problem with my water condition. (Even after a 10 month stint between water changes)

Now I am not advocating this filter so you can get out of doing the water changes that are needed for the health of your fish, but I think this is a great testimonial for these filters. If you want silent then go with a canister (I hate mine it is a pain to clean)

Agree Whisper filters are junk.

If you want a HOB filter the
Hagen Aquaclear 50
Aquarium Filters: Hagen AquaClear Power Filters
or Marineland Emperor 280
Tropical Aquarium Filters & Filtration: Marineland Emperor BIO-Wheel Powerfilters
would probably be top choices for that size tank.

You should also look at canister filters like the
Rena filstar xp2
Aquarium Filters, Filtration & Water Quality: FilStar Aquarium Canister Filter
and Fluval 205
Aquarium Canister Filters: Hagen Fluval Multi-Stage 05 Series Filters
canister filters have some advantages over HOB's but it's a use and personal preference thing really. Check them out just to be sure you won't find something you like better later.

oh, i reccomend the Rena Smartfilters. they are great. i had mine on my tank and it was very quiet and high quality (or at least i think so).

go for aquaclear, I have had all of the filters you have listed above, and the aquaclears are easiest to maintinance, clean the best, and are cheaper to operate.

Aquaclear w/o a question the best on the available market hugh flow huge media compartment ease of maintence which is the real key w water changes!!!

Thank you all so much! I'm veering towards the Aqua Clear but is it compatible with the Top Fin (which has a lid)?

your lid should have "pre-scored" notches in the back to fit pretty much any size HOB filters. I agree, go with Aquaclear. You won't regret it.

Thanks a lot, sounds good. By the way it is a fresh water aquarium in which I plan to rescue the pond goldfish I inherited for the winter. The pond needs a complete overhaul.

if youre putting goldfish in there, definately want the aquaclear.. also you may even want to bump up the size as well depending on how many you have and how big they are... they are very nasty fish and you will battle water quality issues with inadequate filtration

I have the 2 marineland penguin 200b power filters (up to 50 gal) on my 55 gal tank. If I keep the water level up they are nearly silent.

Plus as I stated in another post I am away from home frequently for work, and water changes can be less frequent than is recommended. I never have a problem with my water condition. (Even after a 10 month stint between water changes)

Now I am not advocating this filter so you can get out of doing the water changes that are needed for the health of your fish, but I think this is a great testimonial for these filters. If you want silent then go with a canister (I hate mine it is a pain to clean)

Agree Whisper filters are junk.

Talk about charma.... After this post I did my regular maintenance, and now I cant get the water cleared up. Barely see through it. Little amonia but high Nitrates and nitrites.... That'll teach me.

Aquaclear..........................

Go for Aquaclear.....You wont regrat. I have been using Aquaclear fillter for more than 3 years and I never had any problem. Still running... Easy to maintain. Recently I upgraded my filters to Aquaclear 70 from Aquaclear 20. Now I am running 2 Aquaclear 70 on my 40 Gal Tank. Love it...
hope this helps....

Back
Top Bottom