Power heads in a fw tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait54

Aquarium Advice Addict
Now this might sound dumb but do people use power heads in a FW set up?

I have a 54g corner bowfront with an XP3 filter I know I have enough filtration but during feeding it takes a while for my water to clear up. And the cories don't help lol.

So do you use a power head and why? And what would be a good one for my setup and where do I point it? Thanks!

I don't personally use a power head in any of my tanks. There are a couple reasons somebody may use one though. The first one that comes to mind is as a method of diffusion for CO2. You can simply plug the CO2 tube into the power head intake and you have instant diffusion. Another reason is for the needs of fish. Some fish that are from fast moving streams, etc. appreciate extra water movement.

As for your water being cloudy, what kind of food are you using? I've used Tetra flake food and NLS .5mm pellets and haven't had any cloudy water issues.

Possibly....I would assume very little if any food is making it to the substrate? If so, then that is probably not to blame. I don't really know why your water would get cloudy only at feeding time. :confused:

I don't know, do you gravel vac often? Maybe when it comes time for food the Cories stir up a lot of detritus in the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom