power heads last two years max

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iowa Tom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, this topic has has probably come up 1000 times but I am sure you don't mind my asking the 1001st time about powerheads. :)

I am a high school science teacher with a wide low profile 40 gallon tank and a two regular 55 gallon tanks and other smaller ones. I keep turtles in the the big tanks.

The problem I've been having is that the powerheads keep going bad. The magnetic cylinder (name unknown) part of the impeller in one is locked in place. Maybe it was not thermally protected and when the water accidentally drained a bit below the pump it got fried. One other pump makes no noise at all like it's cooked. In another the magnet spins but broke off the paddle wheel (or whatever it's called). Another impeller does spin but no water comes out. :evil:

I have an a SACEM (I think it is) in one tank. It has lasted at least 10 years. It rattles badly but still works. The el-cheapos have me frustrated.

I would like to get something that I can get new impellers for w/o trouble and that lasts a few years. I don't need to worry about high efficiency or noise level or even whether they help the water to remain totally clear. I just want something from a reputable dealer that will last longer than a couple years. I also don't want to ask the boos for a lot of $ since the turtles are my own and other than spruce up the classroom, I really do not use them in my lessons. In other words, I may be paying for new pumps out of pocket, like I have most of the time anyway. :?

Thanks a bunch,

Tom

Maxi-Jet makes good, reliable power heads in a few sizes. Many SW aquarist use them for years w/ no problems including myself. Parts are also readily available if needed.

Back
Top Bottom