Powerhead burning out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lisajulia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I used the search tool to try and find any others who might have had this problem..but I came up with nothing :oops:

Basically, I have a 72gl set up and the powerhead that goes into my skimmer keeps burning out. I have a cap2200 and I have gone through 3 of them. They basically almost explode, and I have NO idea what is causing this..of course the guy at the LFS just looks at me and scratches his head when I come in for the new powerhead.
It's almost like they just BURN OUT..and OH the smell!
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
The tank is almost 3 years old and like I said, this is at least the 3rd skimmer powerhead that's died.

where did you purchase these from, from the same lfs

Your sump water level is not dropping below the power head is it? Any chance of it sucking air? How muck back pressure does it have? Have you considered a different brand pump? I just looked at my post. Sorry for all the questions. :)

This is what I have...but I took out the bioballs and turned it into a refugium. The pump that hooks into the skimmer is the one that keeps burning out. The water level was plenty high...so I am really at a loss. I honestly don't know which brand to get as an alternate since the pvc/venturi is configured a certain way and seems to only work with a particular pump.
I am totally confused!
http://www.futurepets.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=ACA203002&LARGEVIEW=ON
Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom