powerhead flows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lefty53

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am setting up a 75 gallon reef tank and I have 2 Aqua pump powerheads 1700 rio+ Where should the flow be directed tofor maximum water movement? also I have a Coralife super skimmer . I have in 45#of tufa rock fao a base and Am awaiting 90# of live rock. I also put in 60# of Caribsea Aragonite sand. Sound like a plan? thanks for any help in advance.

i kinda have the same question. but i have a 130g tank. i was planning of putting them on an inverted "V" formation. will this work or am i just making things hard? :)

also am thinking of getting 3 of these:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...1141450414406&itemNo=3&In=Fish&N=2030138&Ne=2

are these just fine or anything else you guys would suggest? also i chose thate powerhead because it seems to have a rotating feature. thanks.

Either point them at each other or point them to cross each other (X or V pattern). Either way works to create a chaotic water flow.

I added a timer from Coralife that swaps the power head flows from one side to the other every 15 minutes. Dont know if it helps, but they seem to like it.

I bought the more powerful Zoo Med PowerSweep 228 rated at 270 gph and was quite disappointed with the performance compared to the Maxi Jet or Penguin models. The sweeping motion locked up after two weeks of using and needed to be cleaned often. Also there is a ton of lost gph out the sides and little water gets moved around. I think this ph would be fine for 30 gal or less but anything larger needs more power.

Last month I bought two Seio Super Pumps and love the currents I get from them pointed at each other :D

Back
Top Bottom