Powerhead Maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krypt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think it's time to clean my two Koralia 3's. One of them is making an off balance buzzing noise while it's running so my maintenance plan was to disassemble them and soak all the parts in vinegar. My questions are, do I soak them in pure vinegar or do I dilute it with RO water and for how long should I plan on soaking them to get all the junk and coraline to come off?

I don't remember what the "official" recommendations are, but I soak mine in a solution of about 2-3 parts water to 1 part vinegar. All depends on the amount of vinegar I have on hand! I just use tap water, let the stuff soak at least overnight - or until I get around to dealing with it. I keep a 2nd set, so I'm in no hurry to get them cleaned up. I take the dirty one out and immediately replace it with a cleaned up one.

I just cleaned and ran mine in a bucket filled with vinegar solution (no idea of the ratio, just a pour). They were spotless inside a couple hours. Rinse and done.

Thank you sirs for the tips. I guess I'll just toss them in and let them cook over night.

Soaking them over night in half white vinegar, half tap water worked excellent. Just used my tank toothbrush on them and the stuff just melted away. Nice, clean, new looking powerheads. Thanks for the help everyone.

Back
Top Bottom