Powerhead/Sand question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I recently had an issue where my filter clogged up, and since it is my only source of surface agitation I almost lost a few fish due to lack of oxygen (and my PH crashed and all that fun stuff). So, I'm thinking of getting a small powerhead to use only for surface agitation(so if my filter clogs again it's not an emergency), but I want to find one that can handle being in a tank with sand.

I'm hoping to have one that doesn't need any sort prefilter so I don't have to worry about it being clogged up. I've seen some that look like underwater fans, would these work better than a traditional powerhead when used with sand? Basically, I want something that won't get destroyed if it sucks in a little bit of sand.

It would be for a 55 gallon, and I only need one big enough to agitate the surface enough for oxygenation of the water. Any suggests/comments/ideas?

Thanks all.

I take it this is for a FW tank. We use multiple powerheads in SW tanks with sand beds. Get a Koralia PH with the amount of flow you want. Place it about half way down from the top and point to the center top of the tank.

An air pump is also good for circulation if your hob filter stops, and adding a sponge filter to it will pick up more debris as well as adding biofiltration that won't stop if/when the power filter does.

+1 on the koralia. They are very flexible in their placement and flow.

Back
Top Bottom