Powerheads for 40 gallons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RYANLAWRENCE

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys im still in the process of cycling my tank and am looking to add some powerheads. I have a 40 gallon breeder with about 25 lbs of live rock but will add about 25 more lbs in the near future. I currently have a really cheap Petco powerhead ($12) that blows out 225 gph. It doesnt seem to really do that much. How many powerheads should I have and what rate should they blow out for a 40 gallon? I want it to be powerful enough so I could add corals if i wanted to in the future

At minimum a powerhead should be turning over 6x your total water volume. For corals I think it's 8x+.

I would aim for around 20x-30x turnover per hour if you plan on keeping coral, or around 10x turnover per hour for fish only or fowlr. Split the turnover gph amount between two powerheads.

I would aim for around 20x-30x turnover per hour if you plan on keeping coral, or around 10x turnover per hour for fish only or fowlr. Split the turnover gph amount between two powerheads.

Thanks, looks like my book is outdated >.>.

Different people recommend different turnover rates, books will do the same. I just like that range because it is a good range for all corals from what I have heard, read, and even in my own experience with softies and LPS. Most books are outdated because the technology in this hobby is advancing at a rate faster than authors and publishers can keep up with IMO. Generally if the book lists PC lighting as the current "standard" for lighting, then it is widely outdated, same goes with hydrometers. HTH.

I use 2 koralia 2's for my 38 gallon. Plus add the return from the skimmer (not much) and seems to be really good for me. Only a coulple low flows in my tank (by my design) I have both of my PH pointed behind my rockwork.

Back
Top Bottom