Pre-Filter box attachment for AquaC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VAguy39

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have the HOB AquaC with the MaxiJet 1200 pump. I just added the pre-filter box. It seems since I added this box the skimmer is not producing much foam. It hardly seems to be skimming at all. One thing I noticed is the intake to the pumb is very close to the dividing wall of the box. Could this be impeding the performance of the pump/skimmer? The return flow out of the skimmer seems to be the same as it was before I added the pre-filter box. On a briter note the box does skim off the surface very well, the surface of my water is very clean now :) and the bubble sponge works well at reducing the bubbles. Also I like having a media chamber since I am not running any other filter. I do think they could have designed the box to attach better then with the two screws that tighten into the side of the MJ1200. The box does not seem to be attached very securely. My box had a tilt to it after it was attach that I corrected by putiing two spare suction cups from the bracket of one of my other MaxiJets behind the box to move it out from the back glass a little.

It hardly seems to be skimming at all. One thing I noticed is the intake to the pumb is very close to the dividing wall of the box. Could this be impeding the performance of the pump/skimmer?
I think so. Mine produces much less skimmate with the prefilter box on there. I stopped using it and it is now picking up much more again. It seems to slow it down around 50%. Anyway, I'm glad to know it's not just me...

Well that stinks.....the write up on it says it is suppose to increase performance by 20% I guess I should not believe everything I read.

The performance increase wouold be due to the effect that the DOC's that would normally just sit on the surface of the water are being skimmed. I concur your thoughts on how the box attaches. WHen I got mine I was confused at how the box attached and duduced thats what the two screws where for.

I understand that it skims the DOC's off the top. My concern is since I have installed it I am getting much less foam. Granted I have had the skimmer for less then 3 weeks but since day one I was getting a good amount of foam in the collection cup each day. Now I hardly get any. Some days I get none. Could this mean my tank water is clean and there is not much to skim? I don't think this is the case as my Nitrates are close to 20. Oh well I will give it a few days and see how it goes.

Thanks all....

Mark

Isn't this disappointing? We had the same problem. Stopped using it after just 2 weeks. Our tank started turning green just after we add the preskimmer. We can't help but wonder if the reduction in skim matter was the beginning of our big problem. Wish I had know about this issue before I blew $29+ on it.
DJ

I just bought the Remora Pro with the Mag-Drive Pump and decided to get the prefilter (I also read the literature that said this would increase the performance of the unit 20%). Have not installed it. Has anyone out there had success with the prefilter box? Any lessons learned on how to get it to work best?

well after some major tweeking and adjusting i have got mine working pretty well. My skimmer is producing foam every day again. it's just a real pain in the neck to adjust. Properly adjusted it does do a great job skimming the surface. My surface water is crystal clear now, and I have no other place to run carbon or other types of sponges if i wanted since I have no other filter or sump on my tank. Also you have to keep up with topping off your tank or you will risk your pump running dry...I still think my skimmer skimmed better without it.

The box has oils on it from production and will cause the skimmer too act funny for a few weeks but should settle back to normal once it release everything. Another thing people do is shove the pump intake tigh up against the prefilter box. You want the pump intake as unrestricted as possible.

The problem in my opinion is the box is not designed very well. I have my box as far over to the right as possible to the point the return feed is right up against the center divider and this still leaves only a very small space between the center wall and the pump intake. I feel my pump may not be working as well in this box. I do like how it skimms the surface. My surface water is very clear, but I think I am getting less skim then I was without the box. I have only had mine for a few weeks so maybe I need to give it more time. I also like the bubble sponge as this really helps cut down on the bubbles....

I have the Remora pro aslo, but not the pre-filter box.

I also like the bubble sponge as this really helps cut down on the bubbles....

Is this something made for the remora or a DIY? Mine has been running a little over a week now (I know, not a real long time) and still has a ton of bubbles. I'd like to try to eliminate/reduce them.

But can you put a sponge in the remora in the partition that contains the return water to help trap the bubbles before the enter the tank?

Thank you all for saving me $30 and some grief.

I think the box is designed to add a sponge for bubble reduction. I just added a sponge to the return. Works pretty well.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?p=380528#380528

Here's my story and fustration with the same prefilter box - I agree, the box wall and MJ1200 intake is too close and it's difficult to adjust. I'm on my 2nd week playing with it and I actually emailed Aqua C. To my surprise, I actually had a prompt response and cooresponded about 5 emails with them.

Basically, they said to adjust the box so that the water falls into the prefilter side of the box and aim the power heads towards the skimmer if possible as this will push the surface water towards the grooves .

BTW - w/out the prefilter box - what did you use to cover the intake of the power head? My friend carved a little bit off the filter sponge and just popped it on the intake to prevent death by power head. I'm interested to hear what others are doing.

Good luck
Brian

Back
Top Bottom