Pre-filter on uptake pipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

extremenewb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I own one of those aquariums with a in hood filter that uses an uptake pipe. I have replaced the stock strainer (ie plastic nob with long rectangular thin holes in it) with a sponge pre-filter. However, after a while, I noticed the amount of water goiing up the uptake pipe has significantly decreased.

I tried cleaning the pre-filter but it still hasn't helped increase the uptake. The main problem is I'm hearing a slight rattling noise which I'm guessing is the magnetic impellor moving without any water around it.

I guess maybe whereever there's smoke there's fire, so I just wanted to ask, would I be damaging my motor/impellor (whatever) if I left it like that? Though atm, I don't seem to see a problem with the stock one since its not a sand base so there's less chance of sand building up in there.

Cheers

Maybe air trapped in the sponge got sucked up into the impellor? Try turning the filter off and and on a few times in a row to dislodge. If that doesn't work open up the filter and look.

Actually I know its a lack of water problem.

As I said before, but badly, I reverted bak to the old "strainer" and it doesn't make the noise anymore. The noise is coming from the fact that there's less water travelling up the pipe.

Try a coarser sponge..... I use one out of a rena internal powerfilter. It fits the tube, more of an accident that anything but flow rate has not been altered measurably....

Perhaps the magnets in the impellor system are weak?

Back
Top Bottom