Pretty sure I just broke my AC50.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was laying in bed, and I am pretty picky about noises. Sometimes my AC50 gets kinda loud and rattly, and a few plug take outs then plugging back in usually does the trick (for whatever reason). However, this time, it wont turn back on after my third attempt of making it quieter. Is it possible I actually blew out my AC 50? In the meantime, how long can the bacteria live in the filter while I try to fix this?

Try using a pencil or something and nudge the impeller. Every once in a while it needs a push start. The bacteria will start dying off after 24 hours.

If Rich's idea doesn't work, take the filter completely apart and clean it. Make sure there is nothing obstructing the impeller- even a grain of sand can be enough to make it stop. Pull the impeller out and check. Float your media in the tank while you are doing this. Good luck!

Marconis said:
However, this time, it wont turn back on after my third attempt of making it quieter.
I think you succeeded in making it quieter! LOL Sorry, couldn't resist. I am the same way with my Penguin. I bought the next one up because I wanted more filtration, and it sounded like a FREIGHT TRAIN. I am spoiled with silence, so I reinstalled my old one after 2 hours and took the other one back for store credit. The LFS guys plugged it in and agreed it was vibrating too much.

My filter has not come on after unplugging, too. Sometimes I wait and it comes on after awhile, or I fiddle with it (like Rich said) until it starts up again. It shouldn't break this quickly...

LOL Ghoti, that was funny :lol: and so true. Well, I took it apart and cleaned it all out, works like a charm. Thanks a lot guys.

Back
Top Bottom