Preventative Approach to QT ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShooterRick

Aquarium Advice Freak
While I have taken a passive wait and see approach to QT with my Bristletooth tang and he appears after 4 weeks to be fine, I have decided for future QT stock to be more proactive. While some may disagree with this approach, it is my decision and so I am asking for help with some basic technique.

Ideally, I would like to treat profilatically for both parasite and fluke,worm type concerns. In my medicine chest I have the following products:

Para Guard
PraziPro
Copper Power

I also keep Prime for controlling unforseen spikes in amonia and nitrites, nitrates in the QT tank.

After reading all label info I have the following questions:

1: Can PraziPro (worms) be combined safely with any of the other parasite meds I have?

2: Is either of the parasitic meds more suitable for a dip than the other?

3: Will Carbon remove all of these from the water of the QT?

4: Should I only consider Dips before intro of stock to QT.

5: Can I keep a semi hyposalinity level of 1.15 in the QT tank and still proceed with chemical treatment?

Proactive QT Approach

In many other areas of animal care, proactive approaches for new stock is practiced. From experience I know on a farm livestock is treated upon arrival regardless of symptoms for parasites and inoculated for various potentially harmful but common diseases and treated for worms. Your vet probably treated your new puppy for worms and such when you first got him. Prevention is always preferable to treating a full blown illness. It seems to me we can take a similar approach with new arrivals in our QT tanks.

My QT Plan:
I am holding all new stock in QT 6 weeks. Do at least weekly water changes at 20% of volume. Test daily for Amonia, nitrites, and nitrates and increase water changes if needed.

Week 1: Get the animal comfortable with his new surrondings and eating well. If symtoms develop begin appropriate treatment. If not let the animal acclimate to its new home.

Week 2: Treat with ParaGuard for potential parasite problems. If parasites become evident at any time, forgo ParaGaurd and treat with copper based meds. Note: If copper based treatment is used complete treatment before proceeding.

Week 3: Since ParaGuard does not stay in the system long and must be dosed daily to maintain levels, at day 10 replace chemical media if using for the remainder of week 3 and observe the animal for any signs of illness.

Week 4: Remove chemical media and begin deworming treatment. I am using PraziPro for this. Since we are treating hopefully before any signs of flukes and such are evident a single 7 day treatment should be sufficient. If a problem manifests itself continue treatment for a second 7 day period per manufacturers recommendations.

Week 5: If no signs of parasites or worms can be seen replace chemical media in filter and observe the animal.

Week 6: Continue observation untill QT is finished.

Please remember I am not a Pro at this hobby. I would like those more experienced to evaluate this approach and make suggestions if I am off base.

Back
Top Bottom