Pricing filters - spreadsheet attached

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottVinVA

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, I have determined that I want a canister filter but am not picky about brand as long as its decent quality. I cant spend more than $80 right now.

Any suggestions eheim, fluval, anything, I just cant make up my mind.

I'm not sure what I am going to put in my tank but can't I set up a standard, good system first before making that decision?

I know I will have a few plants, and some Gouramis and not sure what else...but thats what I know of so far.

Any help is appreciated.

Scott

Old info.
I am not sure which of these is the right for me. I have a 26 or 29 gallon bow front, not sure which, but I want something that will do its job with no hesitation, that is why I am looking at one to do a 60 gallon tank. Maybe they are too powerful...but thats not the issue.

I want to know which is better - it looks like the only difference is one comes with tubes and shut off valves - if thats so, why is it only 4 dollars difference?

Eheim Ecco 2234 Comfort Plus Filter - $89 at Aquarium Guys
http://www.aquariumguys.com/eheimecco1.html

Eheim 2213 Canister Filter Classic Plus - $84 at Aquarium Guys
http://www.aquariumguys.com/eheimcanister2.html

Please help me decide if these are ok for me, and which one is better.

Thanks.[/url]

IMO if its only $4 difference then I would go with the Ecco 2234 because it has 145 gph compared to the Classic plus' 116 gph flow rate and the Ecco seems to be a little bigger, therefore more media space.

What about the fluval 204 or 304? I have the 304 on my 55g fw tank and it works great; strong, quiet, and versitile.

well, an emperor 400 is only about 40 bucks. I have one on my 29 gallon right now. Or an eheim 2213 plus from big als is 64.99
I bought a 2217 not long ago and it comes with all the needed attatchments, and is packed with media.
Or petsolutions.com has a filstar xp2 for 79.99 Or they have an aquaclear 70 for 21.99, thats a pretty good price! And that would save money for other fishy paraphanalia!!

I own all 3 brands of cannister filters. IMO they are all excellent products. Whichever you decide on, you will be happy with.

I like the Eheims because of the variety of attachments available.

I like the Rena because of the price which equates to best bang for the buck.

A slight preference goes to the Fluvals because they seem to be the easiest to break down and clean.

i think bio wheel filters are cool i hate the bio bag filters

I am thinking a Fluval 404 possibly or still the eheims. Still working on the right choice. Getting a bit anxious with my empty 29 gal sitting here on my desk...I REALLY want to get it going!

I would have just gone out and bought something but I am umemployeed and I am trying to stay with a low price but the right filter. This should not be a priority right now, getting a job should be :)

I have done some homework if anyone is intersted`

I have done some homework if anyone is intersted`

pricing.jpg

Now, the goal is to stay under $100 total...and my tank is 29 gal bow front. So I was told, I hear now they don't make a 29 gal just a 26 gal bow front.

Anyway - I am going to have plants, rocks, snails, crabs, maybe a shrimp, and ..... cichlids! No...Gouramis actually :) Wanted to psychout JC.

Did you notice BigAl's is the best price or close to it on every one? Thats why I don't even shop around anymore. Go for the 304.

I have the 304 on my 55g and its plenty of power there! A little 26g? No problem. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom