Priming the Eheim Professional 3 Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rickvn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. I just bought an Eheim 2071 Professional 3 250 Filter. Priming is supposed to be really easy but I found that I had to pump the primer button for ages before the filter filled and then I had to carry on doing it once turned on in order to get the water to eventually start flowing. At no point did a real syphon start while priming. I had to pump all the water manually using the primer button from the tank to fill the filter. Each time it looked like a syphon would start it broke....looked like the diameter of the tube is too big to form an effective syphon. have got it going but it took a while. Anyone know if I am doing something wrong?

I'm not sure as I don't use a cannister filter, but is it sitting perfectly level?
Are you sure there are no air leaks into the system (top is on tight and O ring is sealed?

I am really upset right now. Just spent over an hour writing a long detailed note on Eheim Filter priming and maintenance for this person only to lose the entire thing due to the defined timeout period on this forum...

Last edited by a moderator:
I still do not see the reply you intended to leave. Most of us have been bit by the timeout at one point or another. It is there for a reason (cleaning up dead sessions). Most of your post belongs in the Forum Admin & Tech Support .

Please post the helpful response to the op if you like, and post your technical issue in the proper forum.

Thank you.

Hi, I've been out of touch for a few days.

Cmor....yes....sealed correctly, no leaks (water or air) , is level....everything perfect! Still took aged to prime. I see there are lots of articles on the WWW about difficulty priming these filters so it seems I am not alone. At least I got mine going eventually....some people took theirs back and exchanged for another make because they had so much of a problem.

Sorry about your problem Jcahow. I'd like to hear what you know about the problem if you have the time to try again.

Thanks....Rick

Back
Top Bottom