Priming the Fluval, what's all the fuss about ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xzap

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Every fw BBS I read I constantly see ppl having problems priming the Fluval. I set up a 304 about 2 mths ago and I've primed it ONCE, the day I set it up.

When I do a pwc, I shut the flow valve off then unplug it. After my pwc, I open the flow valve, plug it back in and that's it.

I'm thinking that ppl are NOT shutting off the water flow before unplugging it, thus allowing all the water to drain from the tubes.

Thx,

Dave

I think this is more in line with maintenance (emptying the canister). Most folks are priming an empty canister. Even so, priming is pretty easy...you just have to pump the primer until you hear the water flowing.

When I do a cleaning, I

1. fill the canister with tap water
2. add a lil Stress Coat
3. reattach it to the hoses
4. Open the flow valve, plug it in and go.

Dave

Your right Dave, if the canister is full, it should take right off. I wouldn't use tap water right now, as the chlorine in mine is close to 4ppm

Unless you have emptied the intake hose, re-attaching and opening the valve should get the water flowing immediately...just a couple of pumps on the primer and it fills up by itself.

The difficulty is when setting it up for the first time. Then it is much easier to fill it with water, then pump it a few times, then start it. Starting it dry and using the primer pump as per the instructions didn't go to well for me. For maintence, I leave the tank water it it, clean the baskets and impeller as needed, reassemble with the tank water still in it, and its ready to run. There is still some air burping, but it is minor. If I have to totally empty it to clean out the canister itself, I still fill it back up but with dechlorinated water from my holding tank.

Back
Top Bottom