Prizm a bad protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scubasteve

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey im looking for an inexpensive skimmer for a 70 gallon tank. I had bought one awhile back i forget the brand though but it doesnt go with my tank really cause it only goes internal and i can't get it adjusted at the right level cause of my glass top.
I was looking at the Prizm Pro's are these any good, I know everyone says go with a remora but i really didnt wanna spend that much.
Ideally I would like a HOB skimmer because I dont have a sump.

My experience with the Prizm Pro hasn't been good. I have found them to need constant adjustment and that they are prone to "run away" and put water in the floor. I wouldn't suggest one to anyone. The Remora is a much better skimmer and I would rather have one of them than a truckload of Prizms. JMHO.

Remember for skimmers you get what you pay for. So IMO the prizm is a fine skimmer for its price range but compairing it to a skimemr thats more expensive you should expect the prizm to not stand out.

I would agree that the regular Prizm isn't too bad and is adequate for a smaller tank. I have one, and other than losing it's prime once in a while, it does OK. One of my maintenance customers, against my advice, bought a Prizm Pro for her 75g tank. It has been a constant battle to keep it working. This is why I don't recommend the Pro...we've just had too much trouble with this one. The Remora is pretty much a plug and play unit. Once you get the height on the collection cup set, it will sit there and run with no problems. There are no air or flow adjustments to test your sanity and maintenance is much easier to perform on the Remoras.

I've had good luck with CPR back packs - no problems and they seem to pull a lot of nasty stuff out the water --jd

yeah, my small prizm works, but I check it every day for adjustments. by the end of the year I'll have a CPR bak-pak on there instead.

As a college student i thought handing out $150 for a remora was pretty stupid (especially when I saw how simple their design is!)...However it performs perfcctley, requires almost no adjustment (except the collection cup) they are well constructed, and their simple design means that there is very little to go wrong with them. I have only had customers complain about the prizm and wet floors, or prizms and significiant amounts of time spent adjusting them!

Back
Top Bottom