probs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schpanky

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys, I'm Amanda, I'm very new here, hope I'm posting in the correct spot. I've had a 55gal freshwater tank for 12yrs. It has two canopies/light fixtures, (not one that goes across the top of the tank). My cat loved sitting on top of the canopy and now it is broken (it's still attached to the back of the tank, but completely broken off the front). So I put a chopstick there to hold the light fixtures in place. It looks like it may be bow fronted a bit now. Also, both light fixtures are broken/cracked and I have to toggle the light switch 135-140 times before the light will come on on one side. Glass tank.
Oh Jebus, I may already know the answer....do I need a new tank? UGHHHHHH!!!!! I have a healthy obsession with my fish and the thought of cycling a new tank and the possibility of death is dreadful. Please someone tell me it's going to be okay. :hide:

If your saying the center brace is broken and the front glass panel is bowing, then you shouldn't wait to long to get a new tank or brace. It's just about easier to get a new tank. IMO. You don't want to see what 55 gallons of water looks like on your floor.

Since yesterday I've been doing much research about new tanks. I've decided to stay with glass, but last night I bought a new filter. It's a hanging filter, I used to have a canister but it kept flooding my room, and I had horrible luck with it (this was several years ago, so I'm sure the technology is better now, but I've never recovered, so since then I've reverted to hanging filters. I got a Aqua Clear. I'm not completely sold on the ceramic part of the filter, I may go with two rows of carbon instead. Does anyone have any input on that?

Also, due to limited space I can't go too much bigger, but a 60 gal looks much bigger and would fit on my stand, so I'm super psyched. I just don't want to kill my fish in the transfer!!!!!!!!! Oh god!!!! I love these stupid fish. Any advice on the transfer day? :thanks:

The ceramic part of the filter is more important than the carbon. You can easily do without the carbon. I replaced my carbon with that blue bonded filter padding cut to fit. Two layers about fills the carbon space and traps finer stuff than the foam. Don't replace your filter material. Just rinse it out by sloshing it in used tank water during your water changes.

Imo I think it all depends what you are using the carbon for. The bacteria grow everywhere but it's when carbon is main filter media (thinking of old days of floss / carbon here) and gets replaced say every month you may be throwing out part of bacterial population??

So I got really busy yesterday and didn't hook up my new filter. Should I do a water change first, or should I just stick the new filter on with dirty water to get some bacteria going? I want to establish this filter prior to the new tank. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom