Protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

louiserose

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, the tank that my husband bought for me doesn't actually have a protein skimmer.

The chap that had it before me had the tank for over a year and never used one. He said that he was advised by someone who had had salt water tanks for years and had found no need for it.

I have spoken to someone about it at our local pet store and they did not seem very impressed that we did not have one.

I have been discussing it with my husband and although the tank has been running fine for that amount of time without it we would feel more comfortable getting one.

My issue is that this is a corner tank and i can't see any way of fitting one. Does anybody know of a protein skimmer that the bulky part can be kept in the cupboard under the tank?

I haven't got a clue to be honest. The chap at the shop just told us we really should have one. I haven't got the first clue about them :(

What are your plans for your tank? Fish Only (FO), Fish Only with Live Rock (FOWLR) or reef tank?

Unless you plan on going to a full reef tank there is no need for a protein skimmer. Even with a reef tank many people don't use one and have no problem without it.

Partial water changes (15% - 20% weekly) can do wonders to eliminate DOCs (dissolved organic compounds).

I'm assuming the tank is not predrilled to allow you to have a sump under the cabinet. You can get a overflow box that will hang on the back and move water from the tank to a small tank (sump) under the cabinet. You can place heaters, etc in the sump so they don't take up tank space and look unsightly. You can also then place a PS in the sump.

Sumps Explained

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sumps, Part I

Thank you for the advice. I've had a chat with another person today who said the same thing and he has the same tank as us. I think we'll leave it for now :)

Back
Top Bottom