Protein Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grchargerfan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My protein skimmer has been working for over two years. My tank is a 210 Gallon with numerous inverts and fish. This past weekend I took the entire skimmer out of the sump and did a deep cleaning on the skimmer in my sink (no cleansers). I also did a 70gallon water change. After turning Skimmer back on it seems fine is producing plenty of bubbles, but the they are not collecting any slime. It has been running for about 36 hours and I would have expected slim to start collecting and moving up the cyclinder to the collection tank. Should I be concerned or is something wrong?

I hear the oils on your skin if they come in contact with the inside of the skimmer will thwart its ability to produce skimmate, but it will correct itself.

Completely normal, it has to build a new bio film up may take a couple days. If I just run my collection cup under hot water and dry it off with a paper towel it will take 24hrs for it to start producing skimmate again.

Back
Top Bottom