protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TommyP

Aquarium Advice Addict
I currently only have some zoas and a mushroom in my tank that is doing good so far but I am now* considering getting a protein skimmer for my 55 gallon soon to be reef tank. The layout of my live rock does not allow me to put a huge skimmer in the display tank, since i do not have a sump. I was looking at hob skimmers and this one is 18'' tall. from the top of my tank to the bottom of my sandbed is actually 18'' would this be okay? its a 3 or 4'' diameter so if i position it next to my filter it would fit perfect, and that's the only place it will fit.

Here's a link. Let me know please and thank you in advance.
Saltwater To Go - Aquarium Systems SeaClone 100 Protein Skimmer

Yes, that should install ok. The depth of the tank isn't so important with an HOB skimmer, so long as you can position the pump 4" or so below the water line. Keep in mind that will the diameter is 3 or 4" you will still need some space to get the tubes/maxijet pump into the tank.

Thanks. I wasnt sure if the skimmer itself sat inside the tank - i knew nothing of it. spent a little whiles last night researching it and watching videos and reviews on how a skimmer works and what it looks like on the tank. The one I went with was actually the Reef Octopus bh-100 which got good reviews and it was clear so not so bulky.

Excellent! I think you will be happier with the Reef Octopus. I have heard good things about it. Definitely post up some pics when you get 'er put together.

Back
Top Bottom