Protein Skimmer 24x7?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SuperWade2

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, so my my tank is in the Cycling Process, and I've read on here that I don't really "need" to run my skimmer at this point, but I've had it runninganyhow to try to break it in...

My ? is if I need to run that thing 24x7 once I get teh Tank Cycled and start stocking it?

It's a Remora Pro with Mag 3 pump and it sounds like a Vaccuum Cleaner sucking and is quite LOUD, at least in an otherwise quiet room. I unplugged it last night just so I could watch a movie without having to turn the volume on my TV up 1/2 way.

Thanks in Advance
SW2

i just got one too, and its loud, but gets quiter as it breaks in. my directions say that it will be about a week before its fully broken in and quiet.

IMO I would run the skimmer as soon as you get it 24/7/365. some turn them off when feeding phytoplankton to the tank. Other then that there is no reason to turn them off unless your cleaning them.

My skimmer runs 24/7 except when I feed the corals. It and overflow is turned off for a few hours to let them eat.

Back
Top Bottom