Protein skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

styles215

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was thinking about getting a hang on back protein skimmer.. I just started my reef tank and my gph filtering is about 12 times already but I was wondering if I got a protein skimmer I could add more fish and if it would be worth having. I have a 125g but the 2 I was looking at was for a 75 and one was for 90.. Thanks for any advice

My tank is much smaller than yours but I just added a HOB skimmer and it is performing great! Only took about 2 days to break in and start pulling out brown skimmate. Mine is from Aquatic Life, but I don't know if they make one large enough for your system. I've heard good things about reef octopus and bubble magus brand skimmers, though I believe most of their set ups are either in-sump or external.

Good luck.

An effective protein skimmer rated at ~twice the tank size does have the ability to put more fish in a system, but it doesn't stop a tank from being overstocked.

You think a PS that is less than the tank size is still good to have..? Like I have a 125g and I got a PS for a 90 will it do some good..?

If it works, anything is an improvement over nothing...but if it isn't even rated at the size tank it is on then there is probably much more that can be pulled out of the water. Would probably require the cup being empties less often as well.

Ok I think im going to get it and I keep a eye on the cup.. Right now I have a yellow tang, yellow eyed tang, powder blue tang, scopus tang, hippo tang, law mower Blenny, WM goby, and a snow flake eel.. They are all pretty small and I'll be get rid of the scopus tang in the next couple of days and maybe even the yellow eye.. Is this much..?

Getting a skimmer is not going to solve the issue of your overstocking the tank unfortunately. I concur, remove the two blue tangs and you should be fine with whatever skimmer you can get.

I had 3 tangs in my 125g and they did well, but were still needing more room. I had a yellow, blue and bristletooth tang. I waited for a 180g to come along before I go to four tangs and even that is pushing it.

My blue tang is not even a inch and a half.. Not getting rid of him.. I'm looking to keeping my powder blue, hippo regal and my yellow tang.. And I'll incorporate smaller fish around those.. Like I said they are all small but once I see them get to big Ill swap with smaller ones.. And so you thinking it no reason to get a protein skimmer for my tank..?

A quality skimmer will assist with things going on in your system. But please keep in mind that the advice previously given about all the tangs is still accurate. When you do decide to swap them out, which they grow fast when healthy, I'd suggest looking at different fish that are available to you to avoid such large fish's aggression and load on the nitrate cycle.

Back
Top Bottom