Protein Skimmer help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandown123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys. I just got my skimmer in the mail today (octopus NW-100) and I am trying to set it up. I am having a rough go, as the ENGRISH directions they sent are basically just scratchy drawings on a page with no words. CLUELESS!!!!!
Anyone have this skimmer or a similar one or know their way around how to set this bad boy up? Or a link toa page that does?
Thanks

okay.. i hooked it up i think correctly fo the most part, who knows... but nothing is making it into the cup. there is ust some really bubbly water in the chamber.

1. how do i know if it is working
2. what adjustments should i make
3. wow my sump is mad packed out lol

i think its running to "wet" but i dont really know what this means. it just seems like it should be more airy and less watery. LOL i am clueless i love it.

Usually there is a break in period of a week or two for it to start skimming correctly. Give it a little time. You should be getting some dark green skimate.

the water in the chamber is just bubbly water, there isnt really any bubbles happening that are just foam. also the level doesnt reach the top of the cup. is this normal? how high should the water go up in the chamber... and will the foam start to form over time?

I have the NW 200...same thing as yours but a little bigger.

1- Do you have it in a section of your sump where the water level stays the same? It should be in 6"-10" of water.
2- To skim wet or dry, you raise or lower the output tube. The water line inside ther skimmer can be anywhere from where the neck just starts to taper up, up to the bottom of the actual neck.
3- It will take a good 2 weeks to break in and start to produce nice skimmate.

Here's some pics of my sump and skimmer.

yes water level is OK i think. Do you mean the water level should be up to the collection cup? or its fine at almost any level you desire?

also, why does it have to break in? what technically is going on there?

yes water level is OK i think. Do you mean the water level should be up to the collection cup? or its fine at almost any level you desire?

also, why does it have to break in? what technically is going on there?
If you look at the pic of mine, I marked where the water line is...about 1/2 way up the taper to the neck. You can go higher....to where the taper ends, but don't go any higher than that.

The break-in period is just the time it takes for the production oils to be removed from inside the skimmer and for the skimmer get a slime coat in it.

ah i see in the pic, i missed that one be4. I raised the leve. Also thanks for the article that is very extensive. I'm sure it will start better bubling soon. I'll update later.
-thanks

not really getting any foam out of it.. The water inside is bubble-filled, but there is no foam collecting at the top and rising up into the cup. Everyone in a while the water level rises, and i see there is very little bit of light tea colored skimmate in there, which is i guess a good thing. Wondering if I am not getting enough foam out of it for one reason or another?

Guys. The thing is working about the same as it was the day I hooked it up.

NO FOAM!!!!

Sometimes it looks like its ABOUT to foam and maybe it will sometimes. Also it ends up sometimes with a little bit of light colored skimmate, which I cant see how because the lack of foam should pretty much prevent this... maybe its just random condensation. Even if my tank is not dirty, which i highly doubt is the case, shouldn't i at least get foam. Maybe the p ump is really piss poor.

What do you guys think.. it should be broken in and then some by now.

Guys. The thing is working about the same as it was the day I hooked it up.

NO FOAM!!!!

Sometimes it looks like its ABOUT to foam and maybe it will sometimes. Also it ends up sometimes with a little bit of light colored skimmate, which I cant see how because the lack of foam should pretty much prevent this... maybe its just random condensation. Even if my tank is not dirty, which i highly doubt is the case, shouldn't i at least get foam. Maybe the p ump is really piss poor.

What do you guys think.. it should be broken in and then some by now.

I bought a SeaClone 100 venturi and stuck it on my 20 gal reef AFTER reading this thread and I have had foam for days. So I guess I'm on the "should be broken in by now" side.

Can you take any pix of it? I would like to see how deep it is in the sump and how high up you have the sliding standpipe. Also, if possible, mark on the pic where the water inside the skimmer ends and the bubbles start.

I bought a SeaClone 100
I wouldn't expect much out of that. I never used 1, but they don't get good reviews.

i am at work i will do so when i get home. i can just tell you though.

I have the skimmer up to about 6 inches in the water. the standpipe is almost all the way, if not all the way up. the bubbles are like less than a centimeter off the water level.. it just literally doesn;t foam.

Good deal! You will be happy with that skimmer. Mine also took a good 2-3 weeks before it started pumping out the sewage.

Back
Top Bottom