Protein Skimmer help - Seaclone 100

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jack22

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a seaclone 100 skimmer. It was working oaky for a few weeks except for some micro bubbles. Then I cleaned out the collection cup and rinsed the filter foam on the pump. Now I have micro bubbles like crazy and the skimmer is really loud.

I have already been told that the seaclone is not a very good skimmer, but I was wondering if anyone could help me with these issues? Or should I just write it off as a bad investment and look for a new skimmer? If that's the case can you recommend a good one? I need a hang on model, I would like one that's relatively quiet and doesn't fill my tank with micro bubbles. Thanks for the help.

Did you do a water change at the time of cleaning the skimmer and if so did you use rodi water or tap with conditioner

No, I was adding a fish and I figured I would take care of it while I had the cover off. I buy my water from my LFS. I do use tap water for top offs, I use instant ocean marine conditioner which is supposed to be protein skimmer friendly.

As long as you didn't add their water you are fine there. I would let it run for a week it needs to build some junk back up in the skimmer again it's normal to clean a skimmer and have some bubbles after.

+1 it needs to build back up a biofilm, anytime you rinse off the parts of the skimmer where the bubbles touch and climb into the cup you will have to wait for the bio film to return or else the bubbles pop before they build up and spill over into the cup. Hope this kinda explains it.

That explains a lot. Thanks for the help everyone.

I hope your skimmer is okay, and you just need to build biofilm back up on that part for the cup like saratj1 said. If not, I have been using a reef octopus hob skimmer. bh-100 is the model and it's excellent. About 30% fill up so far in the cup. Had the skimmer less than 1 week. Hopefully I don't run in to the same problem when I clean my cup.

I had a seaclone 100 and ditched it for an esopps sk-100. Been running about a year. Love it. HOB,external pump, and it works great.

I had a sea clone as well and also upgraded to an eshopps. One thing I did to mod the sea clone was drill a hole in the collection cup cap and drop an air stone or better yet a wood air diffuser made for skimming down into the body of the sea clone , put an air pump and an adjustment screw. That way you can control air flow independent of water flow, because with the maxi jet pump on the sea clone the more air you allow to flow the less water flows, and sometimes you need more air and water flow to get a decent skim with the sea clone.
If you already have an air pump you can do this mod for about $5 and 10 minutes time.

Back
Top Bottom