Protein Skimmer Problem... Help Please!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobbyMac15

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, this is my first post, after using this forum for the last two months for research, planning, and setting up a new tank. I finally decided to jump in and ask for some help. I am running an AquaC Remora protein skimmer, and have had it going for two weeks. So far, all I get is very watery, clear bubbles that fill the collection cup in a matter of minutes with almost completely clear water. I have the o-ring as far down as it will go, even beneath the drain fitting. I had a hose running from the drain directly into the tank for the first two weeks, but took it out and closed it when we put fish in yesterday. I'm hoping it may just be due to this being a new set up, with super clear water and a very small bio-load, and that maybe once I get more in there, it will start producing some actual waste in the cup. I followed all of the break-in instructions, including the vinegar rinse-and-run. Not sure if I've got a bum unit, or if this is normal. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and any if additional info is needed to diagnose, please let me know. Thanks for your time and help!!!

Welcome to the forum!

I also run a remora on my 55g and it did take at least 2 weeks for it to start producing skimmate. Have you adjusted the cup? If you raise it up you will get a thicker substance. :)

Yep, the cup is literally as high as it could possibly go. It's below the drain fitting, and as low as it can go and still hold the cup in position. Hopefully it's just another part of the break in, and it will kick in soon. Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom