Protein skimmer questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jay917

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a 40 gallon tank and was planning on getting a cheap protein skimmer like jebo or seaclone. I was wondering if theres a way to change the waste containter to a bigger container or pump it to another container all together? Pumping the waste into a empty gallon water container or along the lines of that will be the best case senero. I am goin to be away for the tank for different periods of time and from what i heard the protein skimmer skims a lot out of the water and needs to be poured out once a day or even twice a day. I may not be able to pour out the waste that frequently.

Unless your nutrient levels are extremely high, your collection cup isn't going to fill up that quickly. If the skimmer is properly adjusted, it will produce a dry foam and would probably run a week at a time. You can drill the side of the collection cup, install a small hose barb, and run a drain line down to another container. My suggestion for a 40g tank would be an Aqua C Remora and you can order it with the drain fitting. It's a much better skimmer than the Jebo or Seaclone. You get pretty much what you pay for in skimmers. Any skimmer is better than nothing though as long as you don't buy a Prizm (IMO).

a bak pak or a remora would be adequate for a 40. You could also use the cheaper skimmers if you wanted and change your water a little more. But buyer beware on cheap items.

Back
Top Bottom