Protein skimmer/UV sanitizer recommendation anyone????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone have a suggestion for a protein skimmer for a 525 gallon tank with a wet/dry filter system?
Also do I need a UV sanitizer? If so any suggestions?

On the second I would definitly go with a uv being that you will probably house an assortment of fish that you would not want disease to run rampant through. Try a turbo twist UV Sterilizer (36 watt) They are very affordable and the concept of spiraling the water around the bulb for longer exposure seems sound to me.

Since there are no recommendations for a protein skimmer does anyone know or any problemsa with this one?
ASM G5 Euroreef

Thank You

The ASM brand skimmers are excellent. They're a copy of the design of a EuroReef Skimmer which has long been well regarded in the hobby. There are some higher end skimmers as well, like the Deltec skimmer that you might want to look into as well. The G5 is rated to 700g which is pretty close to the number of G that you have in your system. I'd probably shoot for the G6 instead. That gives you a skimmer worth almost 2x the number of gallons in your system and should work like mad! (I'm looking at the G3 which is supposed to be good for up around 200g and I'm running a 120). I'd rather over skim then underskim as I like a well stocked aquarium.

Brenden....you have a huge tank...you may want to look into ETSS commerical down draft skimmers....I hear those are the best for large scale tanks.

http://www.superskimmer.com/

I have the smaller reef devil and love it so far :)
The LFS I go to use downdraft skimmers too and they swear by them...

My friend's father is building their new house around a 1200 gal reef tank. I believe he is using an ETSS commercial skimmer brand as well. That skimmer is about 12 ft tall. 8O :D

Back
Top Bottom