Protein Skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

qhrisnd

Aquarium Advice Regular
We've got a ViaAqua SK-200 protein skimmer in a 30 gal. tank ... and we can't seem to get it to work right, and the lfs isn't any help either.

We're thinking of selling off our VA skimmer to someone who knows how to work it, and buying a CPR Bak Pak 2R or a CPR SR2 skimmer ... anyones thoughts????

Thanks!

well if you're still willing to try we might be able to help you get it working "right"

how long has it been set up?
There is often a "break in" period required for a skimmer before it will start producing foam.

what isn't "right" and what have you tried in adjusting it?

We've followed the instructions on it, which stated to leave it running for an hour, then start adjusting it. It creates a foam, at the lowest setting, and overflows into the collection cup which fills up within 30 minutes.

We've let it run for a few hours, just allowing it to overflow ... but its not doing much.

It can actually take a skimmer a week to start skimming properly. And if the tank is very new, light stocking, there may not be enough to skim effectively.

Also, ANY slime coat enhancers, Stress coat, stress zyme (any additive besides calcium, alkalinity, or a straight dechlorinator) will usually make a skimmer go ballistic for a few hours and over skim.

I'd raise the collection cup high, so it won't overflow, and let the thing run a day or two and see if anything's changed.

Otherwise, a CPR bak pak2 works good on that size tank, but get one with a maxi-jet pump, not the Rio pump.

I let my shimmer run for 2 weeks before I attempted to adjust it. If it does not have a layer of slime in it you will just get frustrated trying to adjust it. I ran my collection cup drain back into the sump until the skimmer was coated good.

I had the same issue with setting mine up. Either not enough foam or too much. The trick I found was setting up the skimmer so that the foam only went 1/2 to 3/4 up the tube to the cup. After running for a day or two, you will notice that some of the foam will eventually start rising higher and making it into the cup.

Back
Top Bottom