Protien Skimmer brands whats good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fantasy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been doing lots of research but its hard to find good information on whats good and whats not.
Any suggestions would be great at least something to give me a direction to research more in.
Thanks in advanced!

Should probably mention its for a 30 gallon tank.
Also will this along with Live rock and Live sand be enough for filtering or should I be looking deeper into a filter

We really must know the size of tank you're planning to put the skimmer on. Some brands are only for smaller tanks...others only cater to 100+ gallon setups.

CPR bak-pak 2R is my recommendation...especially if yo ucan find a vendor taht sells it with a Maxi-jet instead of a Rio pump. Cheaper than the Aqua C Remora also.

Captivereefs.com sells the bakpaks with the maxijet 1200 pumps. Is there one big enough for a 75 gallon? Or would I have to go to the aqua-c? Also, Would this pump take the place of one of the powerheads already in place for circulation?

The standard bak-pak really isn't for tanks bigger than 55gallons. I mean, it'll work but it may not skim every last bit out, unless the 75 is understocked.

And no, the pump on any skimmer does not count towards your total circulation, because that pump is only running inside the skimmer. Especially with CPR's...your pump is pulling water AND air...and the air really slows down the water intake. an MJ 1200 is something like 295gph, but when it runs a skimmer, you're probably at 150gph, and that's just the intake. The water churns inside the skimmer, and flows out into the tank at probably 60gph.

Thanks for this, Malkore (it looks like I hijacked this thread, sorry!). What would you (or anyone here?) recommend then as the most affordable decent skimmer for a 75 gallon? The bigger ones get SO expensive!
Diane

On ReefCentral, theres a thread about the new Coralife Super Skimmer

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=563298

Reviews from them seem good- I mean looks at some of the pics of the skum....its just REALLY nasty.

In fact, I'm getting a CSS- was going to make my own but cost would have been 50-70. So I thought I might as well spend the full 90 for a CSS 65.

Yes, they almost make me want to rethink my plans for a dual bak pak2 or a remora pro...

Malkore, what are your thoughts about these skimmers?

Well, I"ve not seen on in real life, or used one...but looking at those photos, it looks VERY much like the HOB my LFS uses on thier 200gallon display tank. About the same size too (maybe thiers is a little bigger than the coralife but not by much).

I think I read a post where someone had it and liked it, so you might try searching the site for a little more feedback. Coralife is typically a good brand to go with, and those needle wheel pumps are very effective.

malkore said:
an MJ 1200 is something like 295gph, but when it runs a skimmer, you're probably at 150gph, and that's just the intake. The water churns inside the skimmer, and flows out into the tank at probably 60gph.

sorry, but not entirely correct. yes, you will see a reduction in the flowrate because the pump is rated based on its maximum flow capacity (with no resistance) but, for the skimmer, water flow in = water flow out. there is no other place for the flow of water to go. so your flowrates are going to be equal.

~mike

Got it, will continue to do further research. Also, is it true you should wait for about 3 months after setting up the tank to add any skimmer?

I don't think theres a set date. Some skim from day one, some don't skim until they buy the skimmer a year later. Based on your sig, it work hurt to skim, but then again, you don't really need to skim because well if damsels can handle cycling, I don't think high nitrates will faze them.

If you have the money, might as well get it now and have some fun. Otherwise you can wait until you start adding more delicate livestock in your tank. It's all up to you.

Back
Top Bottom