protien skimmer, help please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coffeetwitch

Aquarium Advice Addict
ive got a 40gallon dt and about 30gallons of extra water in my sump.

ive been looking to upgrade my skimmer from a knock off of a knock off off ebay. the skimmers im looking at are vertex in100 or a vertex in80 or a reef octopus nwb110 or nwb150

im running biopellets and intend to stock moderately on the fish and have a mix of lps and sps

im leaning to the in100, of these two brands help with size would be great. thanks.

Feature Article: Further Studies on Protein Skimmer Performance — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

This article kind of turned me off of reef octopus skimmers, Advanced Aquarist did a comparison test of several different skimmers and the octopus didn't do well for its cost compared to some of the other skimmers. This of course is just one article. I dont own a reef octopus so I dont know, but reading this kinda turned me off of them.
But I bought my eshopps used off Craigslist (mine is the psk 75h a hang on model) and couldn't be happier, I had a seaclone before and modded it out and still was no where near the quality , performance, or ease of use of the eshopps, and their similar in price.

While all of Ken Feldman's articles are great and full of scientific info, this particular article is a little dated. The skimmers he tested were from 2009 and the Octopus he tested was a recirculating model which they don't even make anymore. They still make recirculating skimmers, but changed the body design. What that article tells me in regards to the recirculating Octo is the recircilating models aren't as good as they were thought to be.

Back
Top Bottom