Pump for aeration of tropical tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sal37

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hope this is in the right place!
I need to find a pump to run two aeration devices in my tank that isnt noisy and will not drive my other half mad!! i have an air curtain and a mid sized airstone. i currently use a Interpet Aqua Air AP3 Air Pump, but if i connect up both outlets it becomes very noisy and my other half gets grumpy.
The tank is in our main living room so any suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

:thanks:

By the way i live in the UK

I'd imagine the noise if room it vibrating against the floor, wall or furniture. Before going out to buy a new one, do you have a small box you can put it in, to muffle the vibration.

Don't know if you have these brands across the pond, but Rena and Whisper I've hear are quiet.

I agree the whispers are very quiet and they have pads on the legs just to keep it quiet . I think the 60 gallon and up pumps have 2 outlets. You can always get a tee and split it as well.

Fill a cardboard box with cotton balls and suspend the pump in between the cotton balls. Or you can try foam, but you need something to supress the vibration.

thanks, just one question if i put it into a box or muffle it with cotton balls wont that interfere with the amount of air being pulled into the pump? The inlet is on the bottom of the pump covered by a little piece of filter.

I am wondering the same thing. I just bought a Rena Air 200. The box says "silent" and "designed to be ultra quiet." But it sounds like someone drilling a hole in my head.

Get a large car sponge and cut a hole in it the size of the pump, slot it in, if the intake is at the bottom, cut a hole for the intake. The sponge should make it quieter, my mum used this method on the family gold fish tank years ago, worked well as I remember.

thanks, just one question if i put it into a box or muffle it with cotton balls wont that interfere with the amount of air being pulled into the pump? The inlet is on the bottom of the pump covered by a little piece of filter.

As long as you dont stuff it. Or what you can do is shove the cotton balls so that the inlet is open (Leaving a gap where the inlet is)

Back
Top Bottom