pump for sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smudger

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,

Im just wondering if anybody can give me advice on good quality brands, preferably quiet as well.

It doesnt need to pump air into the water as the overflow and sump will take care of airation.

The tank and sump will both be 35 US Gallon long (36"x15"x15") and from the pump to the higest point of the tank is 1.5 metre.

Are 'mag drives' just for saltwater because the price seems a bit much. Will any cheap brand pond pump from a DIY shop do? i dont want to skimp on what is an important piece of equipment.

many thanks, Smudge.

I think you should go for a quiet and affordable DC pump, like speedwave or even a jebao pump. For warranty and better customer service, perhaps a waveline or diablo.

Mags are louder and uses more watts. DC pumps use less watts and you can adjust the flow.

Thanks, but these all seem to be labelled as 'reef' and its for a freshwater tank. Also I cant seem to find any in the UK. Is the eheim compact a good pump? Ive got an eheim pickup internal at moment for my 15g.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

These pumps can be for fresh or saltwater. Eheim is reliable good pump.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks. Are there any other good brands worthy of note in uk? I know its a major piece of equipment but is it worth skimping with a bog standard pump? I would go for one of the ones you mentioned above but shipping would cost a fortune and take forever and as with most things labelled 'reef' the prices are bumped up a lot more I.e. an eheim compact rated 1000l/h I can get for £25 where as the others are half the flow for $100

And a bog standard one is £10-£15

Back
Top Bottom