Pump size question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reese

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just completed a main tank upgrade last night. I relocated all of my LR, my wet/dry, some sand, fish, snails, hermits, anenome, etc....

I was using a RIO 1700 (around 650 gph) as a return pump in the sump for the former setup (29 gallon) but I tried to convert that pump to a hard plumbed closed loop. I figured that since my new setup had a little over an extra foot of head, I might need to get a bigger pump. I was about to order a mag 9.5 (950 gph, 750-800 at the 4' or so on my new setup). But right now as it stands, I'm running an old CAP 1800 by itself (it, along with the Mag 7, is recommended for my overflow) which I used to do water changes, and it seems to be adequate.

So...

My question is should I order a new Mag Drive 7 instead of the 9.5 or should I go with the 9.5 and run it through my turbo twist UV filter? Either way, given that I only have the one tube coming from my overflow box (rated for 600 gph return), wouldn't it seem that the Mag 9.5 would be too much pump for this setup?

What size tank? I have a 20 gal long sump below my 58 gal oceanic reef ready and I run a mag 9.5 no problems. The waterflow is good and healthy, (Just upgraded from a rio 2100) and I'm really happy. Seems like everything in my tank is perking up with the new water flow. Especially my fish, they love swimming against the flow.

On my 4' long 65 tank I have a 9.5 going through a scwd to the system and my overflow handles about 600gph. Without the scwd I would definitely have to divert some of the flow or we'd end up with wet floors in the kitchen (the room below the tank), lol! We were using a mag 7 before we added the scwd.

I would get the 9.5 and if its too much just add a valve in line to slow the flow down some.
You should not add a UV light on the return pump because the flow will be way too fast. You need a low flow pump for the UV.

Back
Top Bottom