Purchased used tank...need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dptran

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

So my latest project has led me to purchase a used 180gal tank (72"x24"x24"). I will make this into a freshwater tank for Silver Arowanas. The previous owner had a weird overflow setup going so there are 6 holes drilled into the bottom of the aquarium of various sizes and in various places. I will not be using these holes in any capacity. The old bulkhead fittings that were used are worn will need to be taken apart using a saw as they are in pretty bad shape. Afterwards I will need to plug up these holes somehow. Any idea how or where I can get similar bulkhead fittings that I can use to cap these holes? I am hoping something like the threaded bulkheads but instead of having an opening in the top piece it would just be flat that I can use silicone sealant to close it permanently. Any ideas or tips would be much appreciated, thanks!

i know people put glass down and silicone it down. not sure how well that will work though in that large of a tank. its possible to also just use a cap or a plug with the bulkheads to stop the water from draining.

If it is for fresh water, you might find a bulkhead cap at Home depot, like the ones they use for sinks. Real bulkheads have to be ordered unless your LFS has them and they are expensive and prone to being a pain in the ***.

May I ask why you are not going to use the holes?

i know people put glass down and silicone it down. not sure how well that will work though in that large of a tank. its possible to also just use a cap or a plug with the bulkheads to stop the water from draining.

yeah ive been reading about the glass covering over it but i worry about long term effects as it could deteriorate and would be a hard thing to fix without draining the entire aquarium and starting all over again...in time my arowanas will be way too big to simply put them in a bucket

and yes i would very much like to use plus bug all this plumbing is new to me as ive been mostly a hang on back type of experience...

Well, my brother sells former police cars and they tend to drill holes in their roofs and trunks for antennas and police equipment.. He buys these rubber plugs that you force in and it creates a seal.. Now, theyre waterproof however i dont know if they can hold that sort of pressure although you will be putting silicone too.. and i dont know how long theyll last being in water all the time and all.. but it may be worth a try? they shouldnt cost much and i can always ship a few to you to try.. How big are the holes?

Back
Top Bottom