Purigen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emorrison33

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is anyone on here using Purigen? I started using a bag about a month ago and was mazed at how it worked. They say you can recharge it by using a bleach solution but I am afraid of doing this for fear of not getting rid of all the chlorine.

I use it in two fw tanks. It works great for me. I am starting a FOWLR tank this week. I'm not going to use it in the begining, but I plan on using some in my hob filter. I tried to recharge it and it didn't come out good so I just threw it away. I probably didn't use enough bleach. I had the same fear as you.

I played around with it once but felt it was really unneeded. I was able to recharge it with success. So long as you follow the instructions and use a de-chlorinator you should be fine.

I personally thought it worked good.. Though I think it should only be used as a quick fix until you find what the real problem is that is in the aquarium..

I used it when I started up my tank and did not experience a cycle as a result. I gradually reduced my tank's dependence over a month and had no adverse effects. 2 months later, I started to see my nitrate levels rise, so I figured I'd put it back in. I haven't seen nitrates since then. I thought my test kit might be broken, but I got an independent test to confirm. Best product ever.

The funny thing is that not all dechlorinators will regenerate it. I'd highly recommend using Prime. I used tetra's aquasafe the first time and it permanently fouled it. Since it's pretty expensive, I don't take chances anymore.

Back
Top Bottom