Purigen question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thepokerkid227

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am gonna be adding driftwood that's been soaking for a few weeks to my tank soon, night before I stock it probably another week. It's pretty much leeching very minimal tannins at this point. If it dis colors my water any I'll be adding a pack of purigen to my hob filter, where in the filter should I place it? I have a penguin bio wheel and what's the average life of it before it needs to be recharged or replaced? It's a 20 gallon tank with a 200gph filter. Thanks!

Joe

It should be placed after the "mechanical" filtration

I asked a similar question from Seachem support. Here is the link

Pruigen and Matrix in a Aqua-Tech 30-60 Filter - Seachem Support Forums

So long as you don't put it in front where it could get clogged with debris, you are going to be fine.

On the aqua-tech which I recently retired, I ended up making a floss in biobag pre-filter so the water in the "dirty water chamber" was already free from debris. Then I started putting Purigen & Matrix in there ... then 100 micron polishing pads for really crystal clear water.

I now use Fluval C series filters in both tanks and I put two 100ml "bags" in the lieu of carbon in the 2nd ("chemical") filtration chamber.

I have floss that takes out the big particulate stuff, then matrix, then purigen, then a 50 micron polishing pad in each of my filters on my 56 gallon FW tank. The water is crystal clear.

You may need to "recharge" the purigen a little more often, just keep an eye on it's color.

Back
Top Bottom