PVC Cure Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floyd R Turbo

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found this old thread and wanted to double check for current opinions.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/help-pvc-cure-time-113940.html

I am doing the same thing, plumbing a sump overflow, and in the past I've let the finished product sit for a while (24 hours) before connecting it up.

The link towards the bottom of the thread above (from a plumber's site, it looks like) says that 1 hour of curing time it all that is required before the joint will be cure for low pressure use. That is all good, but my concern is related to the toxicity of the cement compound in a saltwater environment at 1 hour after application.

Is it really safe to start running your tank water through after just 1 hour of cure time?

Will any toxins be released into the system after a minimum wait time?

I'm thinking that just to be safe, I should probably wait at least 4 or 6 hours and make sure I flush it well with tap water, but has anyone done it after 1 hour on a reef system?

i have always waited a day or two. it might be safe for drinking water but i wouldnt risk with fish. they way i see it is why risk it. i assume someone who knows more about ti will come in and speak up.

i have try 3hrs with the clear stuff and it didnt seem to dose my fish.
i also try the orange kind but i leave it for 3days to 7days b4 i throw it into the tank.

I'm using Oatey. From what I can tell, the color makes no difference - yellow, magenta, orange, green, etc. There is a "heavy duty" and "regular" - and the former is much, much thicker. I used the regular this time and it's easier to work with but runs a bit more, so you have to rotate the pipe for a while after joining.

24hr cure period is the recommended time frame as far as I'm concerned. If I'm not mistaken the directions also state a recommended 24hr cure time? When in doubt go with the directions, they are there for a reason (less emergency situation).

This is a link found on the thread I linked to. This is from Oatey (the brand I am using)

FAQ :: Oatey.com

It states that the cure time suggested before performing a "pressure test" when applied at 60 to 100 degrees F is 1 hour.

So what I was trying to find out was if it was 'aquarium safe' at that point in time. I think the general consensus is that you should wait 24 hours (or at least until there is no discernible smell from the product) but it looks like in an emergency situation, you could get away with 1 hour.

Black Magic - is you 3 hours cure time w/o problems on a SW Reef tank?

Back
Top Bottom