PVC overflows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FOWLR-JUNKIE

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was thinking about putting me together a PVC overflow.. They have a lot of videos on YouTube and it looks as if it's effective. I was going to do one for my 240 gallon tank and needed to know the size PVC I should go with or if I should just go with a overflow box.? Let me kno what y'all think the pros and cons of this.. It just seemed easy to do.. Thanks in advance..

Shark~King

Personally I think overflow boxes are better. The bigger the PVC the better the flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Overflow box would be simpler but cost you a little more. If you go PVC then don't go smaller than 2". You may find that you need a second overflow for a tank that size.

Ok thanks but why go smaller than 2?? Should I go 1 or 1.5? Want to know so I could test it out on a smaller tank

Shark~King

I built a 1" PVC overflow before. Couldn't keep up with 450gph(Aprox after head loss) return flow. It was maybe handling 300gph. Which is why I say don't go smaller than 2". And at that size and with your size tank you may want dual overflows.

In the end an overflow box may just be easier

I would have recommended a cpr overflow before but having a overflow that is useless without an Aqualifter seems stupid to me.

Perhaps an eshopps pf-1200 or pf-1800. Or maybe a reef octopus overflow box.

Are you planning on having one overflow on that tank? I have a 150 gallon and I have 2 corner overflows. I have 2 overflow boxes with 1 1/4" PVC Durso intakes that reduce to 1" at the bulkhead. It flows plenty for my tank (about 600 gph through the sump) You don't want to just have an overflow. It will be really loud.

Do you suggest me just getting the holes drilled in the tank..? The only problem with that is if I didn't want to use all 4 of them.. I'm new to the sump thing so plumbing kind of confuse me.. If I don't want to use all 4 bulkheads can I cap it off or something .. I can get the tank with 2 overflows and 2 holes drilled behind each.. Or just standard tank with no overflows and make my overflows with PVC.. What will you do..?

Shark~King

Maybe I misunderstood, you want to use HOB overflows? I don't have much experience with those. My tanks have always been pre drilled. To answer your question, yes, you can always cap off. Right now I only have 2 holes in the bottom of the overflow boxes (Which go all to the bottom of the tank), but I run my returns up the back and discharge to the tank through loc-line outlets. It's kind of like this

http://www.saltwatertogo.com/images/detailed/0/product_detailed_image_29833_24.jpg

How would you make your overflow with PVC? Just put a pipe in and start a siphon? That sounds dangerous. If there is ever a power outage or pump failure you could drain your tank! With an overflow box the water shouldn't drop below the top of the box.

Look on YouTube.. How to make a PVC overflow.. I have one made but might not use it.. And no it's didn't drain you tank..

Shark~King

Back
Top Bottom